meekness and our need to be patient


Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. [Matthew 5:5 NIV]


Albert Barnes defines meekness as a "patience in the reception of injuries".
Oh my, that really sheds a different light on the word for me.
I find that I can often be quickly offended when I am hurting and in pain.

This idea speaks to me of my need to be patient with others.
And quick to forgive those who have injured and offended me.
Patience and forgiveness seem to really go hand in hand.

I wonder if meekness is what happens when we really love someone.
Possibly the earth that we inherit is of a relational nature?
Maybe those who are patient and forgiving are those who gain influence on the earth?

Possibly patience and forgiveness are the only ways we can be meek?

Lord, help me to be meek. Help me to be patient and quick to forgive.


... this devotion is part of the Red Letters series. Click here to read more.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are writing again, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that take on meekness. Often I've hear that meekness is not weakness..but this is a good way to see it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and usually respond. So come back to see my reply.
You can click here to see my comment policy.