the prophetic fulfillment of the law


Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets;
I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. [Matthew 5:17 NIV]



When I think of the word "fulfill", I think about fulfilling the terms of a contract. When we make the final payment on our car, the contract with the bank is fulfilled because the terms of it have been met. This is the context of the transition between the Old and New Covenants.

On the cross Jesus fulfilled every obligation of the law and every Messianic prophecy. When Jesus was raised from the dead God declared that the Old Covenant is no longer in effect and we are no longer under it's laws. Here is what the writer of Hebrews repeats twice about the New Covenant:
"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people."
The simplicity of the New Covenant overwhelms me. The complexity of laws that need lawyers to interpret them are reduced to the simplicity of ones written on our hearts. Thank God for this simplicity. Thank God that Jesus fulfilled the Law and the Prophets.

Help us Lord to understand what you have put in our hearts and minds.


... this devotion is part of the Red Letters series. Click here to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments and usually respond. So come back to see my reply.
You can click here to see my comment policy.