spiritual seeds


A farmer planted seed. As he scattered the seed, some of it fell on the road, and birds ate it. Some fell in the gravel; it sprouted quickly but didn’t put down roots, so when the sun came up it withered just as quickly. Some fell in the weeds; as it came up, it was strangled by the weeds. Some fell on good earth, and produced a harvest beyond his wildest dreams. [Matthew 13:3-8 MSG

I love hearing a good story that is communicated orally, in writing or on video.
Stories have a way of drawing us in and teaching us in ways that nothing else can.
Jesus understood this and often taught in stories that are called parables.

He begins this passage in Matthew telling the first of six parables.
The story is so universal because everyone understands the idea of planting seeds.
Following are a few points that I think we can glean from this parable.

The sower cast seed on places he knew that the seed would not grow.
When I think about that I consider how needlessly careful I am when I speak about God.
Perhaps it is better to speak truth in love and let the seed fall where it may.

The sower had no control over the condition of the soil.
The sower is not responsible to weed, water or plow - his role is to cast seed.
I think that it is good when we know what our role is and what it is not.

The sower did not know what results his sowing would produce.
We really do not know what results our words and actions will have.
All we can know are the motives and attitudes that we speak and live.

We have no control over how a person will hear what we say.
Our responsibility is limited as we do not know how our words will be received.
We in turn need to trust the Lord as we cast our spiritual seeds in the world.

Lord, help me to have the confidence to cast your seed in the world.


... this devotion is part of the Red Letters series. Click here to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments and usually respond. So come back to see my reply.
You can click here to see my comment policy.