from a throne of splendor


When the Son of Man appears in his majestic glory, with all his angels by his side, he will take his seat on his throne of splendor, and all the nations will be gathered together before him. And like a shepherd who separates the sheep from the goats, he will separate all the people. [Matthew 25:31-32 TPT]


This is the prelude to the famous illustration of the separation of the sheep and the goats.
Before jumping into the judgment scene I thought that it would be helpful to make a few observations.
  • The words glory and splendor sets the scene. When I read those words I remember that I have no context, no timeframe and no words to understand this passage.
  • When I read the word "all" I am overwhelmed. All the angels will be there. All peoples of all times will be there. I cannot get my head around that number.
  • Humankind will be separated. It leaves me speechless. I want this to be a time when peoples are reunited not a time when they are divided.
I am comforted by the idea that a shepherd will separate the sheep and the goats.
It reminds me of how Jesus speaks of the good shepherd who lays down his life for the sheep.
Such is the qualification to sit on this throne of splendor.

He who laid down his life now sits in judgment.

Lord, you are my Shepherd. Help me to follow you like a lamb.


... this devotion is part of the Red Letters series. Click here to read more.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite pictures of my Jesus, is the Shepherd. I am so thrilled to be one of his lambs, and love that he is always watching over me.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and usually respond. So come back to see my reply.
You can click here to see my comment policy.