he is more


One of the two who heard John speak and followed Jesus was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. He first found his own brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ). He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter). [John 1:40-42 ESV]


This passage follows the description of Jesus as the Divine Word who became flesh.
It is in this context and understanding that John the Baptist calls Jesus the Lamb of God.
It is in this context that these disciples leave the Baptist and follow Messiah Jesus.

And it is in this context that disciples throughout the past 2,000 years have followed Christ.
We all follow Jesus because he is more than a great teacher or a great prophet.
For believers, Jesus is the Lamb of God and He is God in the flesh.

John and Andrew were first drawn to Jesus that day when the Baptist identified him.
I love how these two knew immediately that Jesus was the Messiah.
And they wanted Peter, a brother and a friend, to meet him.

Little did Simon know that this day would be the day that would change his life and future.
This was the day when the Lord changed Simon's name to Peter.
And such it is with all of us who meet Jesus for the very first time.

We come ignorant of the effect he will have on us.
We are clueless of how he will totally change our lives from within.
He have no idea about how he will call us by a new name.

Thank you for the day that Ellen brought me to meet you Lord. I have never been the same.


... this devotion is part of the Red Letters series. Click here to read more.

1 comment:

  1. Me too, Bob. I'm so thankful for Christian parents who took me to Sunday School and Church were I heard the gospel and responded.

    Best decision of my life.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and usually respond. So come back to see my reply.
You can click here to see my comment policy.