the divine king


When morning came, all the chief priests and the elders ... delivered him over to Pilate the governor. ... Now Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor asked him, “Are you the King of the Jews?” Jesus said, “You have said so.” [Matthew 27:1,2,11 ESV]

The silence of Jesus during this time speaks volumes to mankind.
During this whole process of judgment the Lord refuses to participate in his 'trial'.
He does not make any statements in his defense.

In Matthew's gospel, he only answers when he is asked questions about his identity.
In each response Jesus affirms his identity as King.
Consider this passage from John's account before Pilate:
So Pilate entered his headquarters again and called Jesus and said to him, “Are you the King of the Jews?” ... Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.” Then Pilate said to him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.”
The placard that hung over Jesus on the cross would read "King of the Jews".
Yet his divine kingdom is so much more than Israel - he is a king like no other.
In the book of Revelation he is called the King of kings and Lord of lords.

He has always held this title.
When Adam sinned in the garden he was King.
When Moses delivered the Israelis from bondage he was King.
And on that cross so many years ago he was King.
And I bow before his throne today.

You are worthy King Jesus! Of my strength, my mind, my love and all that I am.


... this devotion is part of the Red Letters series. Click here to read more.

1 comment:

I love to get comments and usually respond. So come back to see my reply.
You can click here to see my comment policy.